PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airmanship
Thread: Airmanship
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2004, 15:24
Stunty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree, Airmanship is sadly lacking in certain areas. I am a controller in the lower mainland and also a pilot. In the last week alone I have seen the following (and been forced to write the paperwork on the following)

1. A helicopter drive within 2 miles of the airport without talking to us because he had an important person on board and was doing some surveying,

2. An aircraft cleared for straight-in joins the downwind for the wrong end and then fails to respond to ATC attempts to get them to turn around, meanwhile 2 other aircraft doing the right thing are forced to orbit.

3. A Tomahawk do a low apporach at a small field in the valley. Little did the tomahawk know it was a skydiving strip in the valley, in a CYA area, and there were skydivers in the air above him. The Tomahawk then proceeds away from the drop zone (while we have an irate DZ operator ringing the phone of the hook) and flies within two miles of the airport, does a few orbits, has a look around and then leaves. P.S. If you are going to do something silly like this at least squawk 1200 so I dont know EXACTLY who you are and where you come from - makes it harder for transport to catch you after I am forced to file paperwork.

4. A very very very experienced pilot - I would suggest this was not a misunderstanding rather complete ignorance is cleared to land on a runway, at short final makes a 90 degree turn and lands on the other runway.

There are many many such incidents a week, airmanship is not as widespread as I would like to see it. Granted it takes time but some things are basic eh? Thoughts?

Stunty