PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iraq - is there ANY hope?!?
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2004, 09:44
Macchi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Iraq - is there ANY hope?

Well, here goes... I expect a torrent of abuse in these "PC" times but I believe some fellow patrons of this forum will agree:

The majority of middle eastern people are fools beyond help..

Why raise this issue? I sit here, fuming with inarticulate rage at the latest round of news on Falluja / Sunni vs Shia / Insurgent attacks / Hostage taking / Civilian Murders/ ETC... ETC... and think "What's the point? Are these people the most worthless members of our global society today? Does any other geo-political area create as big a drain on world resources for such little gain???"
(And I think the pathological "US haters" should re-read that last question closely before launching their tirades).

I honestly think that most of the people of Iraq (and others of it's ilk - you can insert any undemocratic, women-hating, religiously oppresive middle eastern nation here) are the living personification of pointlessness. They appear to exist to do one thing and one thing only: hate the rest of the world for their problems. It's as almost as if they have taken the art of the "legalised criminal" (e.g. someone breaks into your house, cut's himself on broken glass and sues you) and turned it into a central cultural tenet. I just cannot accept that a nation that has been liberated from an unimaginable tyrant can rapidly resort to such barbarism and anti-coalition hatred. It defies logic - and I don't think it's limited to isolated pro-ba'athist areas or a few firebrand clerics.

It appears the general populace (Kurds exlcuded) are downright sh!tty that they have the chance to become a democratically run, un-oppressed nation!! I can imagine meeting a (very stereotypical) Iraqi and asking him/her what they dislike about the West: "Why, because you are infidel dogs of course... I curse your car driving women and spit on your non-AK47 wielding youth".

Someone tell me I'm wrong, please give me reason to believe that this place isn't deserving of being returned to the stone-age to match it's apparent intellectual level. All of this is making me think I may be on the verge of becoming a facist... Say it isn't so!

So what causes this immense feeling of hatred? Is it religious (Islam, or more correctly Fundamental Islamic beliefs)? Is it American foreign policy (that old chestnut - the "they started it" argument) or is some deep seated resentment of Western economic prosperity? Perhaps it's a complex fusion of all of the above? (The safe "Western broadsheet" editorial reasons that are being trotted out on a regular basis).

Well, as Kent Brockman would say: "Here's my 2 cents": as a firm believer in 'Occam's Razor' I suspect that the real reason for these "malcontents" is this: They're simply @rseholes.

But I risk sinking to their level unless I proffer more compelling explanations. The problem is, I've never visited the Middle East, never known an Iraqi and therefore comprise your classic 'armchair' expert. I want to be wrong, I need to be wrong. So I ask some of the more worldly wise PPruners whether my beliefs are unfounded? If not, why are they the way they are?