PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tales of An Old Aviator .... The Big Chill
Old 9th Apr 2004, 20:34
Duke Elegant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am dealing with a little pain right now. The forecast shows pain ahead.

Just like when we were back out over the Atlantic in the C117 with one engine out and unable to feather and the other at METO power just to ease the rate of descent , I made a decision to not use full power on the good engine until I was in ground effect (over the ocean) so that I had one engine at least to smooth out the ditching in huge seas.

I won't use pain killers until I need them the most.

Right now , a baggy of Happy Grass smooths things out just fine.

Major Kidby posted the following story about me on avcanada.

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

treefrog

On reflection I think I will just relate a few more Duke Elegant tales to give those who do not know him (I think a vast number of members have his I.D. by now)a bit of a background from a third party.

As I mentioned earlier he has mellowed considerably in the 40 odd years I have known him but there is still an 18 year old trapped inside his 58 year old body! I don't think it would be fair to tamper with his great outlook on life by stealing stories which form part of his package.

Just a couple more Duke Elegant observations:

Still at RAAF Point Cook learning to fly. One night a senior RAAF Officer noticed Duke studying the flora with a young lady in the magnificent gardens of the Officers Mess. Early next morning all the Army Officers were summoned to the briefing room not completely unaware of the subject in hand.

Now, finding a tiny minded cretin in the senior ranks of the Army is not difficult but in the Air Force it is compulsory. The Chief of Staff, a Group Captain, strode into the room with a black scowl on his face.

The boys could see the humour of the situation but kept a straight face.

"Now I am as broad-minded as anyone", lied the Group Captain, "and do not wish to comment on the personal habits of a fellow officer - as distasteful as they may be.'

"But I will not condone such activities taking place on an AIR FORCE BLANKET!"

The room broke up and, leaving a bunch of uncouth gorrillas posing as Army officers rolling in their chairs with tears running down their faces, the Group Captain stormed from the room.

Further ridiculous mass punishment, which backfired on the Air Force in a humorous (for us) manner naturally followed.

After Duke's minor difference of opinion with the Army he and I arrived in New Guinea at the same time. He was initially driving his little C 182 - basic VFR panel, no oxygen or any fancy stuff- around while I was pushing Pilatus Porters with the 183 Recce Squadron.

Within a short time Duke was legend. I remember flying between Port Moresby and Lae one afternoon (a bad time to fly in PNG) and heard a TAA F-27, in the pre-radar days, call on the radio to the controller that they had just passed a C-182 at 16,000.

"Alpha Bravo Charlie have the F-27 in sight"

"Alpha Bravo Charlie what are you doing at 16,000?"

"Alpha Bravo Charlie descending from 18,000"

Final bit on the Duke concerns his beloved Aztec. Everything is in the eye of the beholder but I think even a new Aztec had a face only a mother could love and Duke's machine was far from new.

Perhaps I was spoilt by having gleaming aircraft maintained by the taxpayer but I remember this crappy brown bucket of bolts with prop leading edges like a cross-cut saw.

Duke is like a father with a daughter who could defeat the whole Dallas Cowboys defensive team single handed - just by falling on them- encouraging her to take up ballet. Love is blind.

The truth about that plane probably lays somewhere in the middle. Whatever, it carried him through plenty of adventures and whenever his stories fill an hour at some bar I am proud to say he is a mate of mine.

Last edited by Duke Elegant; 9th Apr 2004 at 20:45.