PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anxiety = High BP = Fail = More anxiety – anyway out of the loop?
Old 9th Apr 2004, 10:45
QQ Tester

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your input Notso Fantastic.

I’ve been warned before about the results of these electronic gauges. There accuracy does depend on several factors – which include body position – I’ve noticed myself that there is a difference in reading depending on how I’m seated etc. The nurse who lent me the machine instructed me on exactly how I should use it and how I should sit. The point I was making in my last post regarded the difference in the given BP reading using the same machine; it was 160/100 with the nurse (when she was showing me how to use it) and 130/80 as soon as I for home using the same method. Not only was my BP lower but my heart rate had slowed too. My BP at Gatwick was 160/90 with the Doc’s Sphygmomanometer, at my GP’s it was 160/90 with her electronic monitor so there seems to be a reasonable correlation in my case. Also using the home monitor I have not once had an elevated BP as I did in the surgery, even after exercise.

Your point on not understanding the ‘fear’ of the doctor is one I share. I have no conscious fear of visiting the doctors at all; it makes no sense to me. I can feel my heart racing and from that I can guess that my BP level will be high – and it always is! Totally irrational but there you go.

Thanks - QQ