PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet "Airline" Programme This Week
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2004, 21:25
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think this series, like the one on BBC about Heathrow, became very repetetive and predictable and, for my taste, neither series concentrated enough on the operations side of the aircraft.

I particularly disliked the contrived and pre-arranged bits where, for example, a passenger was followed out to somewhere like Palma to take part in an Elvis lookalike competition or something. Very interesting in its own right maybe, but in a programme about airlines/airports I think it was out of place, and there were many diversions such as this.

My local ITV channel recently showed a series about Bristol Airport and this concentrated far more on the operational running of the frontline airport services and airlines. There was the odd bit about the airport fire service and a BA service agent learning to fly for her PPL, but mainly it was about airliners and their operation and the day to day running of the airfield.

For example we sat in on a flight crew briefing and followed the flight to its destination. We were shown the problems when a Britannia B 757 went tech and a part had to be rushed from CWL but the delivering technician was not allowed airside with it by the airport security because he did not have the right sort of pass, so the captain had to intervene to get matters sorted.

Just a couple of examples but, to me, this local series gave far more of a feel of an airport, albeit a smaller regional one.

To act the devil's advocate, I suppose the tv companies have to cater for a general audience as well as air buffs and would argue that the fringe bits are necessary to maintain the interest of non aviation fans.