PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The PFA
Thread: The PFA
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2004, 16:57
stiknruda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AM - is this a hook? If so, you can start reeling in, now!

"not have the committee types and their awestruck groupies wading in whenever someone has the audacity to dare suggest the top brass are doing something wrong."

The PFA as an organisation does have a curious system of governance. Permanent staff (some technically qualified, the majority clerical) are led by a committee of unsalaried volunteers. Those volunteers are there for a variety of reasons, generally the only thing that they have in common is a genuine love of grass-roots flying. A more disparate and eclectic cross-section of society would be hard to find.

Love it or hate it, the PFA has a very important role to play in private aviation today.

Some years ago, so disillusioned was I with the state of affairs that I felt that something positive had to be done for the Association, I went to PFA HQ and expressed my concerns. Some months later I was approached by the Chairman and persuaded to put myself forward for EC candidature as my comments and criticisms were deemed useful and valid.

I had never been on a committee but had built an aeroplane and I had been a succesful MD of a company with a turnover in excess of $14m, pa. I rather naively assumed that committee work would be a rather refreshing challenge.

As with all non-cohesive units, in-fighting and empire building is prevalent. During the tenure of the previous chairman, all out guerilla-like faction fighting occured on many occasions!

I am no longer on the EC as I was not able to make the difference that I had hoped. In general most of the EC members that I have met over the years, have been there for the right reasons, the constituition of the PFA as it currently stands does not lend itself to easy governance and occasionally personalities and egos do rather get in the way, too.

What also does not help the smooth running of an Association for amateurs run by amateurs is the constant sniping from afar and behind the safety of a computer by members and sometimes non-members on the BB. I admit that even today the EC, the Chief Exec et al, do not seem terribly good at disseminating information to the membership via the website and for historic reasons seem to prefer PF for any missives.

PFA members have voted for the Executive. If you do not feel that the organisation is going the way you want it, then vote them out or even stand yourselves. It is the easiest thing in the world to bitch about something, especially when not in possession of all of the facts, it is far harder to actually do something about it.

I remain passionate about the PFA. I own 2 PFA types, one that I built from drawings and am currently making good progress with my new build project.

Stik