PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gulf Air - BD 700 increase for some?
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2004, 14:17
airwaya457

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GF can be good or bad depending on what position you give up to come here. For instance, if you are a milkman then stay where you are. (Just joking – that one was for Ironbutt)

Obviously any advice you receive positive or negative is based on opinion and so is going to vary from advisor to advisor. Here is my opinion:

Currently the airline is under tremendous pressure to change in order to compete with other airlines within the area, many of which have unlimited funds. Unfortunately, there is a lot of resistance to change in many departments from people who have been doing the same jobs for years. If you’re a Captain it might be an interesting move for a while. However, if you’re an FO I’m not sure it’s the right place for career advancement, at least for the foreseeable future.

It’s not a bad place to work, obviously many areas that could be improved but that’s every airline. It’s a friendly airline and has a great bunch of people to fly with. Most of the 767 destinations are not very nice ….okay, maybe that’s a bit generous… one of the destinations is bearable. Roster very erratic but we have been told it will settle down!

I believe many are still living in the hotels in Auh. A number have moved to Dubai/Jebel Ali as the accommodation is much more affordable. I understand it’s very difficult, if not impossible, to find accommodation of a adequate standard in Auh that is within the company allowance. Butt is right in that many are buying flats / villas which makes it a much better place to be financially, in comparison to Bahrain.

If you have kids, schooling is another major consideration and another reason to move to Dubai/Jebal Ali but it is very hard to find places in the decent schools and if you do then it won’t come cheap: GF pay just over 25% of our schooling costs.

GT is an unknown quantity and as of yet nobody knows what the future will hold so be careful when making your decision. Personally, I enjoy the life style out here and it suits me for now.

I think that gypsy has made some very good points.

Happy decision making.