PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot career options
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2004, 11:55
Fanois

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got into a UAS, so can you. there are 12-15 (can't remember) UAS's nationwide, and as an example my UAS took on about 20 pilots this year. If you do go to uni, get in touch with its affilliated UAS, the recruiting process normally starts at the freshers fair at the beginning of the academic year. Howvever, i would advise against going to uni just what to go to a UAS - what if you didn't get in?

Basically, UAS's are aimed at 'attracting high calibre individuals' and wetting their appetite for a career in the air force. As such, on joining an air squadron there is no commitment to join the RAF whatsoever, but flying is expensive and so if you want to stay on for more than 2 years (if you don't seem interested in joining at all, it would be frowned upon to complete the - second to none - flying course of 70hrs and then p*ss off to the airlines) you need to commit in some way to a career in the RAF i.e a bursary, but only at that 2 year point. Of course, standards are expected to be high, and if you can't cut it at the flying the UAS can end your membership. Equally if you don't like it, so can you.

I went to Southampton UAS, check out www.southamptonuas.co.uk for the official spiel! You'll also see that there are far more opportunities involved than flying. Some of my fondest memories are from my UAS time, summer camp at RAF St Mawgan in Cornwall, a mile from Newquay, for example! Awesome flying, as well...

And if you do do a degree, make sure it's a worthwhile one i.e one that employers hold in high regard.

It's your choice, take all advice with a pinch of salt - i obviously had a riot on my UAS, maybe some people didnt, so in that way i guess i'm biased!

I'd best stop work avoiding and get back to my dissertation now, keep asking those questions!

F