PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - quick question for CC trainers/recruiters
Old 7th Apr 2004, 23:27
SkySista

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your replies everyone.

I actually looked it up in my mother's Steadman Medical Dictionary, and the definition is quite interesting. Firstly, there were over 40 types listed!!!

I am definitely going to seek further info on this one; I am due for another eye check anyway.

G_STRING, thanks for your post. I'm glad to know there are other people with this - though I have never met any myself. Apparently I have always had this condition, it has even been suggested that it may actually have been brought on when I was born, as mine had a lot of complications, premy etc (interestingly, this can actually be a genetic thing, without the assosciated neurologic lesions) Also, I vaguely recall my mother mentioning something about my father exhibiting the same thing occasionally; I must ask her more about it.

congenital n., (1) Congenitally predetermined N. caused by lesions sustained in utero or at the time of birth; (2) inherited N., usually sex-linked without assosciated neurologic lesions and nonprogressive

As for contact lenses, I had tried them before, but was not able to keep them in, as they were extremely uncomfortable & made my eyes water like you wouldn't believe! I am however, going to try again as I was much younger at the time.

keithl, I was only partly right there, since looking at the dictionary I thought I'd share these with you, might explain things. I've picked out the ones that sounded relevant.

(The general definition is Ocular ataxia; rhythmical oscillation of the eyeballs, either pendular or jerky

Compressive n., a jerky n. resulting from unilateral changes of pressure in the semicircular canals

end-position n. deviational n.; a jerky, physiological n. occuring in a normal individual when attempts are made to fixate a point at the limits of the field of fixation.

fixation n., an n. most marked during fixation movements of the eyes, arising as optokinetic n., or resulting from midbrain lesions

opticokinetic n., optokinetic n., (also known as "railroad" n.) induced by looking at moving visual stimuli

rotational n., jerky n. arising from stimulation of the labyrinth by rotation of the head around any axis & induced by a change of motion

I don't profess to know anything at all about these, but they might give you an idea of what sort you might have & what you want to ask your doctor. I thought end-position andfixation were particularly interesting. Also, I don;t know if with Compressive n. they are talking about pressure changes in the inner ear - if so, perhaps after many years of flying it can be brought on by constant changes in pressure... hmmm......

Lol sixmilehighclub, I know what you mean about scary make up!! ha ha that was a good one....

Anyway, thanks all for your suggestions, sorry if I missed anyone

Will see what happens....

Sky

PS Flyin'Dutch' CC is cabin crew, not sure about needing a medical for ground, but a friend who does groundwork said he needed one on applying, along wth security check etc. Will have to find that one out