PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot career options
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2004, 22:04
redsnail

PPRuNe Handmaiden

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
g'day,
there's many ways to skin a cat.
At the moment there aren't any true sponsorships out there. There might be in a couple of years time but no one knows. In other words, don't bet on it.
So, that leaves self funding or the RAF/military.
You can head off to uni and find a UAS squadron. From what I have heard, this is a good thing. Don't write off the return of service thing. In the time it will take for you to discharge that there WILL be another recession and pilot redundancies.
The industry cycles in about 7-10 years. We are just clawing out of one so you can do the maths.
If you don't go the mil way then you'll have to self fund it. Many will advise a degree to earn the money and to have a fall back IF it doesn't work out. I would agree but also look at trades such as licensed aircraft maintenance engineers, plumbing, car mechanic etc. Whatever you like the look of. Believe me it will not be a waste of time.
If you go the self funded route, keep an eagle eye on the economy and plan for the worst.
If I were you, I would plan on doing it modular if you have to raise the funds yourself. This does limit your financial risk.
You are young. You have time on your side.
In the mean time, head down to your local airfield and get to know as many people as you can. Get your hands dirty in the hangars and the like.
It will be beneficial to you.
Before you go too far with it, get your health checked out. To do a Class one medical costs about 400 quid. Another way around it is to visit your local GP and get tested for diabetes and hernias. Eyesight, colourblindness and visual accuity.
You can find out the parameters from the CAA website under the medical section. (note, this isn't the same as a class one medical, but a cheaper way of finding out if you'll pass one)
The career is as varied as the way to raise cash. You can go to Africa and do charter there, you can instruct. The limit is your imagination and courage.
Good luck.