PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nigerian expat f/o's
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2004, 18:28
overtorqued

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Observations from the Sub-Saharan

I, like many here, have been working and living in Africa for the majority of the last ten years. There are many reasons why Africa is the corrupt, mismanaged, mired in poverty state that it is, but the number one reason is because 'you get the government that you deserve or are willing to fight for'
In examining the root(s) of the problem(s) it does nothing to say things like ".........well there is corruption, mismanagement in other parts of the world", or words to that effect. Logically extending that arguement would have western society in the same mess as African society, which it clearly is not.
For far too long most ( and I mean 'most' not 'all' ) Africans are content so long as there is a roof over thier heads, a little bread in their belly and a cell phone on thier belt. You must believe there is more than this and some things are worth fighting for.
We in the western world must remember that without western 'intervention' the sum total of African technology (sub-sahran) would be exactly where it was 600yrs ago, maybe even 10, 000yrs ago.
The one's I most feel empathy for are those Africans who are driven to improve their lives, change their societies, who are competent , talented and /or well educated and who, by accident of birth, are not tied into the web of cronyism, nepotism and corruption that rules Africa. You can make all the political correct excuses for the failure of African society but in the end, you reap what sow and not much is being sown there.

PS ( Our company became involved in the training of locals so we selected several who we believed had the drive and talent to succeed . All were scratched from the list and the local government provided us with series of well connected boobs who couldn't pass a drivers test....let alone fly an airplane!)