PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - If you could redesign the flight training sylabus........
Old 7th Apr 2004, 17:15
Capt. Manuvar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FFF
The dicussion isn't retricted to any group. I would like to here what people think about both private and professional training.
I'm only a PPL so I might be abit "niave" but this is what flight training should look like. I think training should be harder and be offered to less candidates. Majority of people who get licenses and ratings don't actually get to use them, so i don't think there will be a "shortage" of pilots and that the number of 'active' pilots will be reduced.
PPL- 45hrs training , but should be harder. It should included 5 hrs complex trainsition and 3-5 hrs night training. I will reintroduce the 5hr IFR minimum. NAV should be done to a CPL standard and teach students how to combine different techniques instead of
"VERY" STRUCTURED HOUR BUILDING- I would restict it to around 50 hrs (40 hrs XC). It should be more structured than the current system, e.g 1 long day VFR XC, 1 long night VFR XC, a minimum number of flights to controlled airports and in certain types of CAS, must etc.
MULTI ENGINE RATING- i don't know much about this rating, but i'll propose 10 hrs if done as a stand alone and 6 hrs if combined with an IR
INSTRUMENT RATING- 40hrs. I don't know much about this (I 've only got as far as the FAA Instrument written)
CPL - 50-100 hrs. I think that the current system is more like an over-rated PPL. This is the aspect iof training that need the most work. I know i'll get shot down for this, but shouldn't an IR be a prerequisite for a CPL? Very few CPL jobs are VFR only. I think it should be about integrating VFR & IFR procedures, hence the 40 hr IR. It should integrate MCC and JOC, which can be done in fixed based sims.
Every thing i've said here may be complete rubbish, due to my relative inexperience. That why i've posted here to here what you professional think. I don't think i'll make it though the system i've proposed but thats another story altogether
Capt manuvar