PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Assymetric MDA
Thread: Assymetric MDA
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2004, 09:49
scramjet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Assymetric MDA

I was having a chat to a Check Captain the other day and he mentioned that when he was doing his check ride with CASA, the FOI had asked him "How much altitude would you add to your MDA/DA if you were assymetric and had to do an approach at XYZ aerodrome?"

I have never heard of any thing like it! I mean with my IREX, CIR and 3 renewals I dont recollect any requirement?

I asked another check captain and he had never heard of it either. Another colleague had some recollection that you were required to make a certain climb performance in the Missed Approach and so if you couldnt make this assymetric you were required to add the corresponding height to the MDA so as to get to the MSA within the specified time/distance.

From where I sit in a light piston twin, flying around remote areas with not a lot of aerodrome options I would expect that if I found myself assymetric I would declare an emergency and land ASAP as best as able under the circumstances.

How do I check up on this as I have not so far located any info in the CAO's or otherwise? I try to make a habit of chasing up any thing which I might need to know.