PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde Fever
Thread: Concorde Fever
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2004, 09:26
QQ Tester

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,

Slightly away from Concorde specifically but along the same lines….

I’m only a young-ish chap (I was 13 when the Vulcan last flew) and I can’t help but feel that aviation heritage is treated with utter contempt by those that have the authority to make a difference. This opinion was formed out of the disappointment of never seeing important British aircraft like the Victor, Comet, Trident, Britannia or Vanguard in the air. It won’t be long before the 1-11 and Viscount will disappear from above too. So what can we do?

Duxford is fine and what some of the other aircraft museums do is remarkable given their pathetic financial backing but its just not quite good enough – aircraft die once they stop flying. We all what to see at least one example of each significant aircraft type kept in an airworthy condition, that’s the aim surly. How do we get there though and who will fund it, what about choosing the ‘significant’ aircraft? Well all I know is that I’d rather see Concorde in the air than a couple of new additions to the Tate gallery. Ok, I enthuse about aircraft so this should be the case but I’m also sure Concorde is closer to the hearts of the nation than, say, an extension onto the royal opera house. I fear whoever pulls the purse strings are pleasing themselves and not really looking at what the nation wants.

Can we keep older aircraft flying – yes, is it expensive – yes, is it worth it – I’d say so.

QQ