PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates increase Tasman flights
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2004, 00:42
International Trader

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep money in the Economy ?
Is that the new "help Qantas " policy?
I remember when Ansett was sunk by ANZ. Dicko claimed that QF was in greater danger of going under and the gov went off on a goose chase with them to buy ANZ instead of looking after the economy and the thousand of Australians put out of work . Now having dispatched the opposition they have the money to go into Asia and thrill them all with their low cost splendour.
So Ek come to their back yard and maybe can do it better.
Tough for QF, tough for the Australian economy. It's not EKs fault, it's the fault of QF for not providing a good enough service at or around home and the government's fault for only caring about QF and not the economy.
I still travel QF as I see it as a better product that "backpacker express" for the money. However the planes that I get are old and tatty, even if the other passengers don't smell. Service is poor.The staff just go through the motions of handing out cardboard boxes as they talk about their private lives like a couple of mums having coffee after dropping off the kids at school.Don't ask for something because you will interupt their conversation. I doubt the Tasman would have any better equipement , service or interested cabin attendants.
QF has to look after their own backyard as well as their new business or they will lose it. Simply, it is called competition.They won't be able to close or buy out EK, they must compete.
The winners, the travelling public and maybe their economy. That's the economy that matters.