PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RT in German
Thread: RT in German
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2004, 15:22
BEagle

Received 334 Likes on 116 Posts
Ah - language problems. Which reminds me of a true story....

An elderly German family was on a driving holiday in Southern Ireland when they committed some minor offence, for which the husband was hauled up in front of the beak. But the old chap didn't understand much of what was going on, merely shaking his head politely and saying "Nich verstehen". Eventually after much confusion, the magistrate had a thought. "Now then. Would any of youse be speaking German?" he asked of the public who'd come to watch. Amongst whom, taking advantage of being in the warmth and out of the rain, was an infamous local rogue called, shall we say, Mulligan. "Ah, Mulligan, now you'll be speakin German, then, would you?" enquired the beak. "Oi would sorr, so I would" acknowledged Mulligan. "Well now, would you be coming down here and asking this gentleman his name?" asked the beak. "Dat oi will, sorr, dat oi will" replied Mulligan, before wobbling uncertainly down to the front of the court. But it was clear that all Mulligan's 'German' had been learned from old war films and 'Battler Britton' comics, for he merely stood in front of the somewhat bemused German before glaring fiercely at him and bellowing in his best schoolboy Gestapo style "ACH, SO. VOT ISS YOUR NAME?" in a cloud of secondhand Guinness fumes.

Uproar ensued, the magistrate decided that he couldn't possibly put the German chap through any more misery and dismissed the case.... "But you, Mulligan, you are fined five punt for contempt of court!" he finally announced as the German was led out of the court.

But do try to speak a little German at the aerodorme. It will be appreciated, I'm sure!