PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Returning to base
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2004, 09:19
knobbygb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can see where Ian's coming from with this question - I assume it's the actual RT phraseology that's the problem, rather than anything else.

When learning to fly, RT is the most nervewracking bit, and we are taught to use the precise CAP413-style stuff. The problem comes when you get your license and find there's no 'correct' phrase for "circling over my mates village so he can take pictures".

The controllers who normally give me a FIS seem quite precise about knowing my operating altitude, intended destination etc. (and quite understandably - they're trying to provide the best service they can, both to me and others - they nearly always call out traffic even though a FIS doesn't demand this of them). The thing is, if I just want to buger about and fly around the open FIR willy-nilly it can seem a bit restraining having to keep people updated and I must admit that for this reason I've recently taken to not always getting a FIS when I perhaps would normally have done so. It's quite liberating for a low hours PPL who's used to constant radio chattering. Doesn't seem quite 'right' though.