PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - quick question for CC trainers/recruiters
Old 5th Apr 2004, 17:08
SkySista

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi keithl,

what you describe sounds like it could be the same condition. The "shake" does on occasion make it hard to focus on detail; as you say, it used to get worse if I was stressed, rushed or tired. Lots of caffeine can do it too. As a child I figured out that if I looked at things slightly sideways, it helped a bit. Most of the time movement was very slight; just enough to make me have to look twice...

In extreme circumstances, things look a bit like they would if I'd just spun round and round & were dizzy. Only just my eyes were moving. As I said, it doesn't happen as much now, and because I know what will usually lead up to it, I can avoid it. It usually looks worse to others than it is for me - which is why I'm concerned about what a recruiter might think, and also why actually flying is probably not a great idea - hard to land on a runway that keeps moving!!!

Next time you're at the optometrist, just ask if s/he thinks you might have it. (Mine told me that nystagmus is often mistaken for astigmatism, which for years was what I was told - apparently astigmatism is deformity in the shape of your eye; nystagmus is the movement (shake) side of things... that's what he said...also that he'd not seen many cases in the time he'd been practicing.

Sky

PS- back to my question - also, is this something I should mention when they ask the question (on forms or otherwise) about things that may prevent you from performing your job properly? And would it matter for a medical?