PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anyone know anything about BLUH?
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2004, 16:45
SilsoeSid

Purveyor of Egg Liqueur to Lucifer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
I think that of all the emergencies in the FRCs the AFCS problems are far more likely to the reason for operating 2 pilot, soley for the diagnosis problems. To counteract that why not dump AFCS and land asap.
The Immediate action for any single engine problem is to establish a safe single engine flight condition, ie fly the aircraft first, then sort out the problem. I think I am correct in saying that most twins are single pilot ops, so this levers to idle and fuel shut off thing isn't the reason.
However I don't want to dwell on this and have it end up in an FRC knowledge debate.

As for the crewman having to fly NVG whilst the pilot goes through the launch sequence, I think that was well answered by Timex. NVG are/is not a secret art either.
Anyway, the Blackhawk would be a support asset mainly, as the AH would be the strike, although a role change could be available at extra cost, which I doubt the UK will need.

The system of experienced pilots bringing on 'brand new' pilots from APCs never worked better than pre CREST days. The aircrewman role was 'an apprenticeship' for the APC and the mainly excellent ACM(O) + (G) would pass out with a wealth of experience and training that just needed fine tuning.

I cannot believe that the difference between aircrewman and pilot is educational background, taken that experience and training are gained 'on the job' so to speak.
The majority of Army pilots are of the same educational background, which as it happened, was the same as the aircrewmen of the time.
The only educational differences are between commisioned and non-commisioned officers. In this case all the experience and training is higher in the less educated!

As far as pay is concerned, I think that a Cpl pilot is on a fair wage, taking into account Res PoD, clothing, food/accomodation (if in mess/quarter), medical/dental, gym/sports facilities and so on. Of course he would have to go through the full licence procedure if he/she has less than 2000hrs/1500P1 etc. retention not an issue I think, as pay increases at a fairly good rate.

I bow to the fact that operationally any future BLUH will require 2 pilots, but I believe a case for re-installing the front seat aircrewman would be strong, for financial and manpower reasons as well as being good for moral.

edited to tidy up!

Last edited by SilsoeSid; 5th Apr 2004 at 18:47.