PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anxiety = High BP = Fail = More anxiety – anyway out of the loop?
Old 5th Apr 2004, 15:41
QQ Tester

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anxiety = High BP = Fail = More anxiety – anyway out of the loop?

Hello,

I went for my initial class one medical a couple of weeks back at Gatwick. All was fine, even my ‘over the limit’ myopia, until the final test of the afternoon; Blood Pressure. I knew it would be high as for as long as I can remember I’ve had an irrational fear of anything medical. It’s totally crazy I know but whenever I visit the doctors, dentist or even the opticians I feel fairly stressed. Anyway, my BP was 160/90 which is too high for the CAA (quite rightly) so it’s now up to me to prove that my BP is normally within the acceptable range. The doc at the CAA was helpful and recommended that I send him either a 24 hour BP test report or three readings (taken on different days) from the nurse at the local GP’s surgery.

To my questions then:

Has anyone else had to go through this process and if so how did it go?

I understand that the 24 hour test uses the same principle as the doctors gauge i.e. an inflating pressure cuff – as it tests my BP every 30mins won’t I simply get stressed when it starts to inflate giving another false reading?

I’d appreciate any of your thoughts on the above,

Thanks – QQ