PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Air Canada dead?
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2004, 14:47
goates

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not hoping that 30000+ people lose their jobs. I also recognise that we do have a rather unique situation for air travel in this country. And I was definitely not trying to say that we let some foreign airline take over either. What I was trying to say was that the government should let the current Air Canada go. The company could kick out the current management and bring in new management and a new business plan that will work.

Right now they are trying to be everything to everyone, and end up doing it all poorly. They are also trying to beat everyone else at their game, instead of focusing on where they have the advantage. No one else in this country have any international routes, except for the tourist operators and no one else has a full service business class either. If they stuck to those areas, they could do pretty well. Jazz and the other regional airlines could take over the smaller routes and still feed into the larger cities.

True, Westjet and the others will drop a route if it isn't profitable, but they wouldn't be in business for long if they didn't. If there is a demand, someone will pick up the route. Probably with better sized aircraft to do the job. Why should someone fly half empty 737s if a 70 seat regional jet or a smaller turbo prop fits better? Maybe that's why Westjet has said that they are taking an initial look at regional jets.

I do hope Air Canada survives, just not in the current form. It's always nice to see the maple leaf amongst the tails at LAX and elsewhere.

goates