PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Science Museum, Wroughton - Events
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2004, 15:04
Skylark4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you noticed how, once people other than flyers get hold of sites like this, they always fix it so that the site can never be restored as an airfield.
Brooklands:- cut the runway in half with a public road.
Cranfield:- (only one runway I know) Put a bluddy great building on the threshold. I'm sure space could have been found 100 yards off to one side.
Greenham common:- dig the runways up. Must have cost more than the spoil was worth and it looks, from the air as though there are still runways there. Some poor lost soul will eventually write off his aeroplane doing a forced landing on it.
Wroughton:- there wre plans to build a new facility there. I don't know if it has happened. Guess where! on the end of the short runway.
There are many more.
Don't people realise that airfields are valuable assets in their own right. They are very easy to close and impossible to build from scratch.

Mike W

L&S
Wroughton was never an 'operational' airfield. ( I stand to be corrected) As far as I know, it was always a maintenance unit where aircraft were received from the factory or repair shop and fitted out prior to delivery to the operational units. Windy Militant probably knows more about this. He was more involved than I was when we opened it up for the PFA Rally for those two or three years.

M