PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC Nostalgia
Thread: ATC Nostalgia
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2004, 17:23
TC_LTN

'just another atco'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATC Nostalgia

Following a brief discussion in 'another place' I wonder if anyone could help me with my fading memory;

I thought the original Anglia Radar was at Neatishead? I may be wrong but wasn't that the unit name when the disgruntled Airman tipped a jerry can full of fuel down the steps and struck a match? The reason this rings a bell is because when Anglia Radar #2 was established at Stansted many years later and doing a very different task, some of the original staff from Neatishead objected to the title being reused since people had died at the original location.

Another, even older, ATCO suggested "It (Radar Data) may have been piped in from somewhere (I thought it was pre-Neatishead) for a USAF-specific Anglia Radar task from Wethersfield. In the overall scheme of things it fitted in with Eastern (Watton), Midland (North Luffenham), Northern (Lindholme), Southern (Sopley) etc etc "

I may be completely wrong with my memories about this but would be very interested if anyone could put me right.

And another one;

Who remembers the 'Southend Aerobatic Area'?

Where was it, who was it for and who controlled it?

Obvious answers need not be posted

Last edited by TC_LTN; 3rd Apr 2004 at 17:35.