PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft Trashed by Ground Handlers (again)
Old 4th Dec 2001, 07:59
Elliot Moose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

At the small northern outfit I was working for we had the same problem a few times. One guy pretty much ripped nosewheel door apart on a 748 by jumping on and driving away in the wrong direction.
As for the ground staff, the recruitment of good people was doubly hard since the pay sucked, the hours were long, and the location VERY remote. Pretty hard to find somebody dumb enough to work 12hr days six days a week for $9 an hour in -40C weather. The only viable solution was to hire pilot "wannabes" to do the work with the promise of a nice shiny turboprop in a year or so if they behave. I did it myself, and found it to be a real learning experience and an excellent way to learn the reality of heavy hauling in the bush. Seldom saw a plane get bent by a pilot, but there were lots of dings, etc. from those that weren't. It became really clear that just how valuable a trained and conscientious ground staffer can be as opposed to one who got fired at the local gas station. The unfortunate thing was that nobody higher up seemed to catch on that the incentive has to be there for somebody to perform well in what might be considered a "menial" job. If they had just paid a bit more, and made life a little more attractive they would never have had to keep the losers around. They could have better insisted on quality from all the staff like they could from those with the incentive (i.e. the wannabe's).