PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Computer Won't Restart
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2004, 08:34
PickyPerkins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ausatco
======================================
It seems to have gone into System Restore when XP set a System Check Point, would you agree? It would be better removed, but how do I do that from within the restore files? - those files and folders seem inaccessible.
=======================================
Housecall says viruses can get into the Restore area (a hidden partition on the hard drive) via Restore Points. Housecall also says that once there they are not accessible for deletion unless the Restore system is turned off.. Housecall goes on to give the procedure for turning off the Restore System and thereby (they claim) enabling files in the Restore area to be deleted as follows:
1. Log on as Administrator.
2. Right-click the My Computer icon on the Desktop and click Properties.
3. Click the System Restore tab.
4. Select Turn Off System Restore.
5. Click Apply > Yes > OK.
6. Continue with the scan/clean process. Files under the Restore folder can now be deleted.
7. Re-enable System Restore by clearing Turn Off System Restore.

HOWEVER, when I tried to use the above procedure it didn’t work as advertised.
On completing step 5 above I got the following:

So one can delete ALL or NO files in the Restore area. One cannot delete selectively.
------------------------------------------------------

I think Restoring to an earlier Restore Point will remove any files which were installed since that date, and I would try this first. Restore back to a date before the downloads occurred and see what happens. You should not lose any text or data files, only the executables and changes in the registry associated with the offending downloads and installs. The Restore process is claimed to be completely reversible, and it has been for me so far.

I have no idea whether any of this will help with the original problem posed, i.e. the computer not re-starting.

========================================
Your Computer Enters Standby Mode When You Try to Restart
This article was previously published under Q312921
SYMPTOMS
When you try to restart your computer, your computer may not restart, and it may enter Standby mode. Note that this problem only occurs when use the arrow keys on your keyboard to set the focus on the Restart button in the Turn off computer dialog box, and then press ENTER.
WORKAROUND
To work around this problem, use your mouse to click Restart.
========================================

QUESTION: In connection with the above Microsoft Note Q312921 posted by TCS, is there a difference on the problem computer between approaching the Restart button on the screen with the arrow keys compared with using the mouse?

Last edited by PickyPerkins; 3rd Apr 2004 at 16:46.