PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Massey Uni Ardmore campus closure?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2004, 02:19
Six Lima

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Horse Float Driver: Just a little confused by the 3rd paragraph in your last post. Not interested in arguing over who's better, but may I suggest that the reason the others all joined up with the polytechs was merely as a vehicle to get full funding; not, as you imply because the combined flight training/degree idea is so great. I used to work at Canterbury and am dead against their diploma course. I wouldn't be surprised if most CFIs are as well but realise if they offer a diploma they can offer full funding for flight training and consequently nearly triple their student numbers (as in CAC's case).I don't believe students go to Canterbury, Ardmore etc because they want a diploma, simply the fact they can do it for "free". I would suggest there are two markets here; those students who believe a degree/diploma is vital, and those who would rather concentrate on the flight training. In my time at CAC I was unaware of anyone doing diploma papers, let alone comleting the diploma.

My personal feeling: if you want a degree, get it in something other than aviation. If you want a CPL/blah/blah/blah go to a full time training establishment with a solid history.

Never the twain shall meet?

Why shouldn't you be able to get a student loan purely for flight training?

(Just seen your post CC. Great minds!)