PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Am I being realistic??
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2004, 23:56
Gearupandorrf

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Cool Cheers guys!

Thanks guys for your opions and advice thus far-

drshmoo: Yes mate, that is pretty much the reality of the job market here in the UK. Don't get me wrong, there is definitely no shortage of qualified low hours people (like myself) over here, but there is not much of a "GA scene" over here to speak of. Because of this, most people like myself are looking at first Commercial jobs in the Regionals or Freight outfits. For example, a good mate of mine that I met at home (Melbourne), did the UK thing about 2 years before me. When he came over, he had 350 hours TT and found some unpaid weekend meatbombing work. At 400 hours, he got a job flying nightfreight in F27's and is racking up stacks of hours now. I think he'll pass the magic 1000 hour mark this week (Good one mate ). However, some of the fortunate ones are getting first jobs in 73's and A320/21's.

I was introduced to my mates' boss (F27 fleet Mgr) at a do just before Christmas and had the informal "interview" over a few beers, to see if I was a "good bloke" or not. Evidently he thought so as he gave me his personal home phone/email, and I'm at the top of the list should anything come up. Incidentally, he's also an Aussie and came over here in that year just before 1990.

In terms of the number of guys looking for work, basically anyone with a decent amount of experience (1000-2000HRS) has either being hired, or will be hired soon. Things have been stagnant for the last few years, but basically almost everyone over here is starting to hire in small numbers. This is going to ramp up soon. For Instance, EasyJet have 150 A319's on order, and are currently taking delivery at the rate of 1 per week! . The forecast is that they need 300-400 additional pilots this year alone. Apparently, there have been some "emergency" meetings at Easyland as there are not enough crews available to fulfill the summer program, and the pool of B737 type rated crews looking for work has basically dried up. Lots of head scratching to figure out where the next batch of people are going to come from, so I'd anticipate that there wil be a big drain of pilots from the regionals .

Added to this, Virgin Atlantic are looking for about 70, Brittania and Monarch are looking for a few, but the best news is that apparantly, BA are about to start hiring DEP (non cadets) for the first time in about 4 years. They are rumoured to be looking at about 200 people. Whichever way you look at it, this puts a hell of a dent in the number of people like me looking for work.

For me to get my license converted to a JAR frozen ATPL, I've invested the approx. grand sum of $90,000 AUD for training/ accom/ airfares/ licensing fees/ flight test fees/ incidentals, then if you add on a years' worth of lost income the total has come to about $125,000 AUD.

Given a combination of my age, my desire to fly for a living and the nature of the job market in the UK- I feel that it has been a worthwhile investment in myself.

And yes, I am a lucky bloke ( re: the Wife)!

Ralph the Bong: I'm very interested to hear about your experiences with Instructors as well. Can I ask you; how did you deal with this? Did it put you off flying for a while? If so, how long did you take out from flying? Congratulations on getting the career as far as you have, what are you flying now?

Your'e very right about some of these characters being rejected by the Airlines. In my case, my Instructor was a B727 Captain, and had to retire from Airline flying due to loss of Medical. I guess he saw the glimmer of hope in my eye and decided to kill it? (ie: if I can't, why should he)?

I appreciate your honest opinion re: my reason for being out of flying for so long after the PPL. There are a few individuals here in the UK who do this kind of thing, and I'm booking time with one soon. I realise that, in general, older applicants such as myself, need to prove to a QF/DJ interview board that we are truly motivated to follow an Airline career through to retirement. What I'm hoping to sell them on is the fact that I've invested a small fortune (or a big one for me), moved to the other side of the planet and left all that I've known behind- just to be able to have a chance of staying in this game when I eventually come home.

I couldn't stand the idea that I'll never be able to fly a jet in my homeland, just because I didn't fly for a few years after the PPL but busted my balls to make up for it in more recent times. Surely a B737NG or A320 family Type Rating (with a couple of thousand hours of use) would hold some sway- even if I'm in my mid 30's?

Bendo: Your'e right re: the oportunities elsewhere. The more I researched into the UK market, the more I knew that it was the route for me.

Since we've arrived, I've certainly been throwing my hat around. At the moment, we're based in north Cheshire, between Liverpool and Manchester Airports, and Birmingham is only an hours' drive down the M6. Every person that I get to know, I ask if they know anyone who works for an Airline. You'd be surprised at the number of people who do, and I get in touch. This has led to me meeting a few people who matter. I'm starting to get quite good at cultivating friendships. In addition to this, I'm looking for work in the Ops departments with a few Airlines, as some low hours guys have been taken on this way. Another great way of getting to know the people who have the say.

As I said, I miss Australia and as you say, many others in my position will think the same way. My long term aim is to line in a place I love (Melbourne), doing what I love. However, all things are subject to change. My mate (whom I referred to at the start of this reply), has been here for longer and has a completely different attitude. He feels that QF and DJ are narrow minded in regards to recruitment policies, and can't see himself having a decent chance of flying for an Australian Airline. I just see it as a result of a completely different job market.

Your'e right mate! Wer'e trying to have fun, and as time goes on we feel better about being here. Now that the stress of the initial upheaval and trying to get established has largely passed, we plan on getting out there and sampling as much of Europe as we possibly can. It's a small place, but a big place as well.

If anyone else has some thoughts, I'd love to hear them!

Cheers all,
Gearup.