PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will a good hiring time ever return again?
Old 2nd Apr 2004, 13:23
Luke SkyToddler

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah well personally I have never yet met someone in this business who doesn't have some kind of conspiracy theory that they have been hard done by in the job stakes, because they are too young / too old / too short / too tall / not enough hours / too many hours / too foreign / too british / too male / too female ... whatever. Some just put their shoulder to the wheel and get on with it and others don't, I guess.

It's tough for everybody to get their first airline job whether they're young or old ... it took me 6 years, several thousand miles of driving, 3 round-the-world trips, hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of phone calls faxes and emails, two or three thousand posted c.v.'s (no idea to be honest but I'm working on the basis of 40 or 50 posted every few weeks for several years), 2 long term relationships, about 10000000 pints of beer, 378 back issues of Flight International, some seriously large internet bills, the list could go on for ever but I'm sure you all get the general idea.

The market will just about always be "buoyant" for people who are experienced, type rated and current on modern airline equipment, and it will never ever be easy for people looking for their first job.

I think the job market is as good as it's been for some time, everyone is hiring in small numbers with the one big exception of British Airways. People have forgotten about them on wannabe's almost, because it's been that long since they hired ... but I don't share v-5's pessimism that all the jobs created at the lo-co's are due to contraction in the full fare carriers. Just wait until Uncle Eddington opens the hiring floodgates and then we will have all the makings of a fully fledged hiring boom on our hands