PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CRM summed up
Thread: CRM summed up
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2004, 12:53
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear 411A,

Not to worry, I learned about responsibility a long time back, not least from being sat up there at the end of the airplane that gets to the scene of the accident first! While you airline gods were up at FL330 asking after the baseball scores I was down in the clag trying to find Great Inagua in a no-autopilot little bug smasher, contemplating my responsibilities.

No, the part that I have had to work at getting a handle on is the sharing of the workload with the other flight crew member. For instance, there have been sim sessions where I did everything correctly except that I did everything correctly. In other words, I forgot to use the man sat next to me, thus increasing my workload, making a hazardous situation more hazardous, etc, etc. It would kind of rankle to have to forget all those hours of being sat up front alone with the sole responsibility for sorting out a problem, but I got there in the end. In a two crew aircraft there is shared responsibility, with the ultimate responsibility being with the captain, right enough.

Not to be unfair to you but from many of your comments you do come across as the kind of guy who might have a little problem with CRM in the modern sense of the term, preferring to issue orders rather than first listen to some input from other crew members. 'Authoritarian' we call that, yes?

Part of the problem with the 'young' guys of today is that society's values have changed, so that their attitude to authority isn't what it was, and we have to work around that to some extent. Aviation doesn't exist in a vacuum.

I'm still learning myself, at 56 years and about 14,500 hours, if you want to write me off as just another 'young guy'.

I used to hear that all the time from the Great Stone God in the DC-3: 'You young guys!' At the time I was about 33, had put in two years in Viet Nam and had about 3,000 hours, so that I didn't quite feel wet behind the ears. Now I would find that rather flattering, actually!