PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ascoteers Multiple Choice
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2004, 07:26
BEagle

Received 334 Likes on 116 Posts
Well, 'Reichman' is such a friendly little soul, isn't he?

From Drivers, Airframe point of view, personally I had more problems from some ALMs (though by no means all) then I ever had from Movements staffs.

A classic was the jobsworth who arrived at the ac long after the rest of the crew and announced that we needed to delay our AAR trip because he had to 'check the seats'. This was a no-pax AAR trip and the RV time seemed to mean nothing to him.

Another was the lazy old biddy who turned up in blues (late again) and expected to go flying as crew. Not that I saw the need for ALMs to wear flying suits to lurk in the back of a '10 on a domestic UK towline, but that was the rule and I couldn't turn a blind eye to it! Fortunately we had a keen young steward who was cabin supervisor qualified, so the ALM was told to dispatch and then get off the flight.

Then there was the ALM who refused to take a football belonging to a young grunt flying between Turnhouse and Hannover on the grounds that it was a 'pressurised container'.......

My early exposure to the breed was during a period waiting for my 10 OCU course back in 1983 when I used to go flying with the OCU QFIs. On one trip, this miserable old fool turned up, did the trim sheet, then sat in the back grumbling about everything and anything whilst reading the newspaper. His oh so demanding cabin service consisted of throwing the infamous S1 boxes at the crew and producing a single cup of tea in 3 hours....

I used to get a bit pi$$ed off with the pointless bickering between MALMs (usually) and some of the Movements folk - totally avoidable and symptomatic of the "I'm a Master - and considerably more important than yow" mentality......

Shall now step out of the ring and let you folk slug it out....