PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CRM summed up
Thread: CRM summed up
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2004, 05:48
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Boss! Or, a manager....

I think we can see some sort of generational split developing here.

Used to be, back in the late Stone Age, one started as an underling and then climbed the greasy pole to become The Boss! At that point one could then inflict the same sort of pain on the underlings that one had endured on the way up.

But somewhere along the line this began to change, thanks to more detailed knowledge of human interaction, analysis of accidents, recognition of what goes to make or break an error chain and all that sort of touchy-feely, hard to define stuff.

I think we can take 411A as an example, for better or worse, of the old-fashioned cockpit Boss. 'My way or the highway,' as it were. While Studi, having just been trained at great trouble and expense by DLH, has probably absorbed all the new ideas about the Captain as Manager, using CRM.

Speaking for myself, I spent a long time as some sort of humble labourer in the Oil Patch, creeping along over the mangrove swamps in simple aircraft just a little bit higher and faster than that lowest form of aviation life, the helicopter. Then I was forced to choose to become the commander of a multi-crew aircraft. It was that or the breadline. So I came to this late in my career with a fairly open mind.

I have always found people to be an interesting and rewarding field of study, with CRM just an offshoot of industrial psychology, say.

I used to fly with 411A's evil twin brother in a DC-3, when I wasn't very impressed. The Boss! Well, Boss, go boss somebody else around; I didn't need that. So becoming a Boss myself was out.

Then I saw this touchy-feely CRM approach lead a few people astray as well. So there might well be some aspects of this Boss approach that are called for. Hmm.

Anything involving interaction with other human beings is damned complicated, certainly compared to just operating an aircraft. On the other hand it can be interesting and rewarding. Personally I would rather be back flying single-pilot but given that I have to work multi-crew it's been good to read through the material on this CRM forum. Some of you guys are far past me in your depth of knowledge and others seem to be mired in the past but all of it has been useful. I have to just keep trying to pick out the bits I can use myself and leave the rest for later.