PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA 747 100Kts & stick shake?
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2004, 20:43
LOMCEVAK

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
A company that I flew for had 2 different engine fits on their fleet of 747-200s. The simulator had the lower powered PW engines, and the OEI go-arounds practised during LPC/OPC were inevitably at max landing weight. Therefore, the performance was OK and the rates of climb and acceleration during flap retraction easily manageable. The first one that I flew for real (due to no visual cues at CATI DA) was in a more powerful RR engined aircraft, AEO, at light weight . The excess power was impressive, and a non-standard power reduction was needed during flap retraction to keep the speed under control in the SOP profile! No problems, as our operations involved a lot of hand flying due to the older generation of the aircraft. However, I always briefed this excess power aspect in subsequent arrival briefs.

I was involved in 3 GAs in 2 years ( 2 as PF, 1 as PNF), 2 for weather, 1 for a blocked runway, and although the workload was high the task was philosophically similar to take-off procedures and not a problem. It is interesting to consider the problems and scope for errors in automated GAs in automated aircraft vs manual GAs in manual aircraft. Comments from pilots with experience of both greatly appreciated.