PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qatari A321's to Enter Service
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2004, 11:11
A300Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bang
Hope you are well - you could be right. It was actually the plan to op via CMB to several long distance routes until the A346's arrive in a few years. However, I now understand that KUL is being re-considered as a more "recognised" secondary hub. Apparently, there has been some reservations made about the use of CMB (viewed as a third-rate terminal) for international transit point for "bus-stop" passengers. i.e. pax who would possibly fly LHR-DOH-CMB-MEL. It is felt that CMB is not really a suitable transit point.

I have to say that I (personally) disagree with this. As you and I both know, CMB may be a secondary terminal in terms of its facilities and services, it does however possess a seamless and friendly atmosphere that places such as SIN, KUL and DXB just don't have. (Plus we know of the good political links between CMB and QR.................................) So, I am not sure how it will develop. Can anyone correct me in my assumption that the current A330's are not capable of non-stop DOH-MEL?

EAL - The two current leased A330's are A7-AFN and AFO. Formerly in the fleet of Italian Volare. They are the non-spec machines that are currently ops destinations like MNL and MAN (although I just came back from MAN a few days back on ACD!). I am not sure how many other A330's are joining the fleet on LEASE - I am only aware of an additional A300.