PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Over Water Singles- Update: Sensible Decision
Old 1st Apr 2004, 09:10
headsethair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head: Cheers!

The rules against single engine ops in this country are more than draconian. They are just not based on facts. Engine failures in SEH are unheard of these days. However, that doesn't mean that it isn't going to happen - so we all have to take responsibility for our decisions.

Even with floats, ELT etc there is no guarantee that you will be saved. There is no guarantee that you will execute a perfect auto onto a 2 metre swell. There is no guarantee that your seat belt, otherwise a fine lifesaver, could not lead to your untimely demise trapping you in the upturned cockpit. So - should we ban seat belts ? Of course not.

And, my main bugbear, the astoundingly unsound asumption that twins are safer than singles. Not from the stats, they're not. More weight, more to go wrong, more likely to suffer some sort of breakdown.

Sadly the European led "pro twin turbine" lobby is heavily funded and has all the right connections.

So decent helicopter flying will always remain beyond the means of most Europeans.

Here's bizarre - I fly 3 friends down the Thames for a sightseeing trip through London - one of THE greatest heli trips in the world. As soon as I charge them for the privilege it apparently becomes more dangerous and I have to (under PT rules) have floats. This very act makes the whole trip borderline on fuel.

What's the safe answer ?

Maybe the future will make it EASA-ier. But I doubt it.