PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - External USB2/Firewire Hard Disk Identity Failure
Old 1st Apr 2004, 08:29
OVERTALK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
External USB2/Firewire Hard Disk Identity Failure

I keep getting a "Windows - Delayed write failed" under Win XP Pro (PIV 3.2ghz with PC4-800 MB and one gb of quality RAM).
"Windows was unable to save all the data for the file I\$Mft (i.e. I colon backslash). The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or Network Connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere."

Now this is confusing. Is it a scratch file of some sort? (that remains forever unwrit). Is it related to a setting? There appear to be two under "Device Manager" but it also seems to switch randomly between them. It wouldn't work while plugged into a Belkin USB/Firewire card so now it's attached to the MB's USB slot (in place of the mouse - which now lives in Belkinville).

I've noted that:
a. It is very hard to eliminate (cancel the message). It more often than not causes "My Computer" to stall - requiring a hard reset.

b. The ext HD still works OK (eventually). However you frequently have to change over the USB plug on the back of the crystal case to kick-start it.

c. On boot-up it goes into auto-logon and starts slowly reading (scanning) all the ext HD's contents (as if it was a CD). It won't cooperate under either of the options under "POLICIES" (Write Caching and Safe Removal offers you "optimize for quick removal" and "Optimize for performance")

It shows up as a plug and play compliant device i.e. "an Oxford Semi-conductor Ltd Oxford IDE device - IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device (LOcation LUN 0)" - which sounds more like a sound-card to me???) - but it is little more than a Crystal drive case around a 120gb HD. It's my understanding that the Oxford chip constitutes the Firewire/USB2 interface....but Oxford deny all knowledge...

It has just come up with (after a reboot) "This Device is disabled (code 22)" and, after clicking <ENABLE> it said: "Windows was not able to enable this device".

Don't they ever trial these devices before letting them loose on an unsuspecting public?