PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATSB Media Release- B737-800 Darwin Runway Overshoot.
Old 1st Apr 2004, 06:11
cunninglinguist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any company worth 2 bob and with a current AOC would outline all the requirements for a stabilized approach, including into unique airports like LCY.
Our SOPs are ( VMC ) one dot high or low vasis, not greater than Vapp +10, and ROD below 1000 AGL less than 1000' per minute, no engine limits due to very quick spool up of our type.
Obviously Vapp + 50, 2000'ROD and high on slope at 1200' would not be accepatable and a bit of coomon sense would need to be applied, unfortunately for some, the C&T dept. can't have procedures for every comprehendible situation, thats why they pay us good money.
There, bluddy simple is'nt it ??
If this is not achieved by 500 agl it is to be called ( although ROD obviously called below 1000 ) and if it's still not achieved by 200'......around you go, it's not brain surgery !

In closing, sorry if I offend anyone but I am not a believer in " there but for the grace of god go I " ( mentioned earlier ) , an unstabilized approach, yes, we could and probably have, all made that mistake, continuing with such a bad one and overunning the runway is not forgiveable, bluddy stupid, and if any of you think it could happen to you....let me know who you fly for, I don't wanna fly with ya !!!!!