PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - age at 1000hr mark
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2004, 02:05
Slimpickens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still love the flying...actually, just love the first 5 minutes and last 10 mins - the 6 hours in the middle that can get a bit tiresome, especially at 3 o'clock in the morning! A heavy 767 still outperforms a P-51 (except in aeros!), and they are bloody nice to fly - smooth, quiet, roomy. The downside is most of the hours in my logbook now are with the auto-pilot engaged - jet flying is more a mental game than a physical game. If you like the physical stuff, go top-dressing. Peddling a jet onto the runway in a 30 knot crosswind is easier than peddling a C180 in the same conditions (a few more implications in the jet if you stuff it up!).
Always wonder what I am doing to the kids by not seeing them for days or weeks, plus poor mummy slaving away by herself. You need a very understanding wife and robust marriage, plus need to make a bigger effort with the kids when you do get home.
At the end of the day you fly big jets for the money - the flying schools or GA charter crowds don't seem to want to pay $200k for an experienced pilot. If they did I would be back in a flash! The 'glamour' of jets, hotels, international destinations, hotels, bigs hats, gold braid and hotels isn't so glamourous after a while - compared to being in your own bed each night.

However, I suspect I will still be doing this in 20 years time - hopefully from the left seat!