PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eliminating assymetrics effects in Jets
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2004, 08:19
safetypee

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Apologies for hi-jacking the technical side of this thread, but it has been rewarding by showing the diverse opinions and philosophies that exist throughout our industry. In addition it has highlighted the hazards of asymmetric thrust, whether in routine operations or flight tests, and that there are few untried alternatives for eliminating the asymmetry by means other than the use of rudder. Thus the importance of rule 1 – fly the aircraft, but do not forget the yaw axis after an engine failure.

Following on from John’s considered comments I wish to alleviate any concerns that may result from some posts in this thread for the less technically minded reader (particularly passengers). Let me reassure you that aircraft are extensively tested, in a professional manner, by responsible test teams. The people in the commercial aircraft certification process do not take unnecessary risks; the process of judging risks and avoiding hazards is similar to that which every Captain should follow, safety first.

My considerable time in flight test probably means little to 747Focal, but none of the aircraft which I have been associated have been lost due to design or test oversight. 74 your statements IMHO do little to foster confidence in the US certification process and cast an unwarranted shadow over reputable test teams (I assume that you are not based in E. Marginal Way).
There are many people in our industry who have done all that you quote and much more; most conducted their flying successfully, others unfortunately encountered unforeseen hazards, and fewer still did something foolish. We all have to learn form this rich history.