PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ejection seats
Thread: Ejection seats
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2004, 06:44
Krystal n chips
Thought police antagonist

Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts
A bit of a mixed thread here I'm afraid---some seat related aspects though.
In 71 / 72--I think-- a Sea Vixen landed at Valley with about 4 ft of the upper surface of the RH mainplane peeled up--looked like it had been attacked with a chainsaw and how the thing remained airborne was a miracle. I understood that it had hit something very solid on Eagle---but never found out what. Anybody shed any light at all please?.
As for seats, I understand the boys in ASF at Bruggen, about the same time, maybe a couple of years later, also sent a seat skywards from an F-4--leaving a nice dent in the girders en-route !...
With regard to live ejections--and this story could be another "tale"--I understand the Nav who ejected from a Bruggen F-4 around ( around 1975 ) landed near to the Roermond to Elmpt road---and flagged down the first BFG ( as was ) vehicle. This was being driven by a grunts wife who glibly informed said Nav that "she was going shopping at Rhine D !"--and left him there !. The story was going round at the time and seemed to have a basis of fact. The a/c in question had an uncontained No1 engine failure and crashed near Maasbree--in land that was duly classified by the Dutch as "prime agricultural land"--whereas primeval swamp would have been more accurate!.