PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R22 crash at EGTC
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2004, 05:03
[email protected]

Received 641 Likes on 280 Posts
Gaseous, I take your point but are you advocating no EOLs for student pilots? If they are taught well to get into auto promptly and PFL to a suitable site then surely they need the skills to get that last little bit sorted and walk away from the wreckage. I agree that the R22 is a surprisingly crashworthy machine (just as well really) but it won't save you if you don't have the basics of "flare, check, level, cushion" tucked away.
Yes, unannounced throttle chops can be interesting for the instructor if the student gets it wrong but that's why the QHI should have his hand on the lever when he does it. We used to do a demo of Nr decay in the Gazelle by getting the student to close the throttle at 1000' downwind in the EOL circuit, hold the lever where it was for a second or 2 to show the rate of decay, and then use a turning flare to recover the Nr and position for the EOL. I wouldn't wait for so long in an R22 but the students cetainly understand the neccessity to enter auto promptly after that demo.