PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eliminating assymetrics effects in Jets
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2004, 23:20
john_tullamarine

Received 113 Likes on 73 Posts

I trust that no-one thinks that you are other than the competent chap you presumably are.

However, the point to be emphasised in a widely read forum such as this is that, while flight testing has its own set of hazards, it is not a necessary condition that such work be done in a cavalier and ill-considered manner as some could conceivably read into your posts.

Although my background in flight testing is not as extensive as those who do it as a fulltime job, it has been my experience that most (but not all) TPs, FTEs and test programs have a very strong underlying management thrust driven by risk assessment, control, and minimisation.

Certainly, the flight test community necessarily exposes itself to higher risk levels than does the routine flying community as is demonstrated in the occasional mishap which attends flight testing. However is it not a bit silly to approach such potentially hazardous work other than in a very calm, methodical, and disciplined manner ?

It would be useful if some of the PPRuNe flight test community could wade in with some appropriate anecdotes ?