PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R22 crash at EGTC
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2004, 18:53
Gaseous

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crab
I am only confident because I fly a much more forgiving aircraft than a Robbie.

AAIB data suggests that it is the other end of a real autorotation that kills people. The aircraft lost due to carb icing and other power failures which resulted in a fatality broke up in the air due to low rotor RPM. There are no cases where autorotation was achieved which resulted in a fatality. Almost all real autorotations ended with rolling the aircraft suggesting all that landing practice doesn't help much. The crashworthiness of R22s under these circumstances is a real credit to Robinson.

During my own training there was always lots of warning of entry into autorotation. The throttle chop was never practised or demonstrated yet this is the part of a real autorotation that actually kills people. Too risky to practise according to my instructor.

The last bit of an EOL may be buttock clenching/exciting/easy depending on your point of view. What seems clear from AAIB is that it is not particularly dangerous to people but is risky to the health of your aircraft.

I remain unconvinced that full EOL practise at student PPL level is an enhancement to flight safety.

Just a personal point of view.