PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATSB Media Release- B737-800 Darwin Runway Overshoot.
Old 30th Mar 2004, 11:16
Next Generation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Proploser

Again, I say that I stand behind what I said earlier.

Generally, there is a maximum limit as to what amount of additive may be carried on top of Vref (usually around 20kts). This will be DEFINED in your aircraft or company operations manual.

Thus, to achieve a 3 degree glideslope, carrying your maximum allowable Vref additive, you will never come close to the tripe that you espouse as proof that TAY 611's definition is flawed.

Therefore, "SENSIBLE" limits is not open to interpretation, but rather it is logically linked to achieving the correct glideslope at the specified approach speed.

Also, although you probably know this already because you are such a genius, the additive is to compensate for wind conditions, not your rate of descent.

Therefore, in your "example", assuming that a 110 kt correction was required due to some kind of cyclonic wind conditions, your ground speed would still be relatively slow, which would mean that the resultant Rate of Descent would still not be anywhere near 1500 to 2000 fpm.

I look forward to your reply.

NG