PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Full ATPL
Thread: Full ATPL
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2004, 10:36
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JAS,

You are right - there are loads of different ways of doing this, and different methods suit different people.

I don't know the details of the course you're looking at, but from the brief description you've given, it sounds like the ideal course for someone with loads and loads of money whose dream is to be in the left seat of an airliner and nothing else will do.

Back in the real world, though, not many of us have loads and loads of money, so most of us would prefer a route which enables us to spend less money on the training, and start earning money sooner - a double-win situation.

Also, although many (but not all) of us dream of being in the left seat of an airliner eventually, most of us would settle for the right hand seat of a twin piston or turbo-prop, or some instructing, or possibly sight-seeing or aerial photography. For many, there comes a point where paying out to get to the left seat of an airliner quicker is worthwhile, others would rather carry on in what is often perceived as lesser jobs and save the financial outlay - but this compromise between cost and benefit depends very much on personal circumstances.

Although I can just about understand people paying for type-ratings, and even working for free when times are very hard (I didn't say I agree with it, I said I understand it), I really can't understand why anyone would pay someone else to work for them at a time when the market is picking up and it's possible to find a very similar job, and get paid for it, without too much trouble. I may have got the wrong end of the stick here, I don't know.... (I doubt immigration laws would come into it - if you're not getting paid I don't think it counts as work from a legal point of view, but I may be wrong.)

FFF
-------------