PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - first time in the rain
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2004, 08:45
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very interesting.... and I hope it's not dragging the thread too far from the topic to suggest that it's probably extremely relevant to anyone undertaking an IR or IMC rating who finds themselves, quite legally, in this kind of whether for the first time?

Although we can simulate flying in cloud with foggles, screens, hoods, etc, we always take off these devices for landing. I can't see that practicing low-level circuits in bright sunlight is going to help very much, either.

The solution? I don't know. We can't decide what the weather is going to be like on the days we do our training. Obviously if we encounter this weather during instrument training, we should go flying - but if we don't? Any thoughts from experienced instrument pilots or instructors???

As for encountering this weather on a VFR flight - if it happened to me, and it wasn't something I was used to, I think I'd probably be going around, and either diverting or waiting for it to pass (depending how big the shower was and how fast it was moving). That's just me, though. Have flown in very light rain once or twice, and that was hard enough.....

FFF
----------------