PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Training - My Experiences
Old 29th Mar 2004, 17:52
YYC F/A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why does everyone go on about 'if you dont love it your in the wrong job?' live to work or work to live?
Redfred: Cabin Crew, unlike the vast majority of jobs, is definitely not 'just another job'. Certainly at airlines where long-haul or layovers on shorthaul occur, flying is more 'a way of life' than just a job.

Being away from home, working odd hours, your body clock being semi-permanently out of synch with what seems like everyone else in your world, the lack of routine, working with different co-workers on every trip, often not seeing the same people for months/years, the changes to your schedule, calls from crewing in the middle of the night.... Then after all that you have to look like a happy camper at 6am as you board the first of several flights that day, even though most of your pax are grumpy and miserable.

It's def not your typical job, so while I do agree with the sentiment that I "work to live, I don't live to work", I would also say that I also HAVE To love my job seeing as I spend so much time there, and if I didn't love it I'd be hauling ass pretty quick. And that's not withstanding the fact that as Cabin Crew you really do need to love your job and see it as a lifestyle choice to be able to still be happy, be a great crewmember, and deal with all of the things I mentioned above!