PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southend Avro Lincoln
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2004, 13:36
Kolibear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can vaguely remember the Lincoln flying into Southend, I must have been in school at the time.

A few years later, when all the 'Historic' Aircraft were parked down along the Eastern Taxiway by the railway my mate & I decided to go & check them out.

In those days, there was just a kiosk at the end of the car park selling Pleasure Flights, (not Trial Lessons in those days), no security, so we politely asked the guy in there if we go and have a look at the aircraft. And he just let us go.

I can't remember what aircraft were there, there Swedish 'Barrell' which looked like a Mig 15, sitting on its tail 'cos someone had pinched the twin cannon in the nose. Maybe a Harvard, maybe an Anson too.

We climbed into the Lincoln and explored it nose to tail. I found a lemonade bottle and took a swig as I was thirsty, except it was hydraulic oil

Anyway, by now some-one On High had noticed two youngsters walking acoss the wing of the Lincoln and airport security came round to find out what was happening.

We were driven back to the carpack and told to explain ourselves. We said in chorus 'We asked that man & he said it was OK', pointing at the luckless kiosk attendant. We were allowed to go with firm instruction not to come back, we didn't hang around long enough to find out what happened to the kiosk attendant.

It was a long time until I ventured back to that side of the airport.

Shame that the Museum bit the dust though.