PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hillwalking to wrecks
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2004, 12:35
Danza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JW411 - I don't think that's the one BEagle is referring to, this one was on a fight into Burtonwood and crashed into the rock face above the Llyn Dulyn reservoir. There is a description of the crash in a book called 'All in days work' by David Earl. Eventually most of the wreckage fell into the reservoir. The tail section of this aircraft was recovered from the lake by a Lancashire based group back in the 70's, I've got the report somewhere. Nothing much is left at the crash site now, and would require ropes and very good mountaineering skills to get down to this dangerous site.

This area (Conway range) is a well known graveyard for all sorts of aircraft; close by there are large amounts of remains from a Whitley. I've got a full list of crash sites and locations in this area, but off the top of my head there was the Dakota and Whitley mentioned above, a Wellington, Mosquito, numerous Ansons and a few others that I can't remember (All the information is at home).

Little remains at most of the crash sites now, much has been lost either to time or taken by landowners and souvenir hunters. As far as the law goes (my understanding only) there is no law against visiting such sites (permission of the landowner might be needed), but under no circumstances should anything be removed from the sites or any digging or excavation be undertaken.

BEagle, if I can be of help with locations and information just drop me a pm.

BeauMan; the Beaufighter crash is tricky one to get to, if you look at the OS map it crashed into the rock faces on the Eastern Face of Aran Fawddwy. Most of the wreckage that is still there is in the gullies down on the face with some scattered down to (and into) the small lake (can't remember its name). I haven't managed to get to site but I have it on good authority that there is some visible wreckage left. Although I don't think any sizeable sections are left, I'd be happy to be corrected. It's in such a remote spot that I doubt that the Snowdonia park people remember it's there let alone try to remove it. Although I have heard the landowner has recently removed one of the engines and now displays it agricultural shows.

Aran Fawddwy; this mountain also has a reputation with four separate crashes on its slopes; Beaufighter, Moquito, P-47 and P-51. There is a very poignant memorial by a farm at the base of the mountain; one of the mosquitos Merlin engines has been embedded into a concrete stand. I'll try and post some photos some time (if I can figure out how to).

Yet another edit - I don't think the picture that Genghis has linked to is Llyn Dulyn (even though they say it is), Llyn Dulyn has an impressive cliff face to it on it's northern side, rather unlike that picture. The picture is probably of another reservoir about half a mile south of Llyn Dulyn (walks away taking anorak off)

Last edited by Danza; 29th Mar 2004 at 18:03.