PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How long did it take you to complete your PPL?
Old 29th Mar 2004, 08:54
Capt. Manuvar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe it can be cheaper to do it abroad. Most of those against foreign training tend to compare worst case scenarios abroad with best case scenarios in the UK. If you intend on receational flying you can get an ICAO PPL at about half the price of the JAA equivalent and you'll be able to fly G-reg day VFR. N-reg aircraft are becoming increasingly common nowadays. you could do a FAA part 141 PPL and IR (70hrsTT Minimum) in as little as a month if you are brave enough, and at a similar price as a JAA PPL given the exchange rate. You will also be able to convert to a JAA PPL/NQ/IMC very easily.
i agree that there are differences but a lot of them are exagerated. For example, the issue of RT. You'll be much better at Rt and ATC procedures if you train at certain busy regional airports in the US or in certain busy areas e.g. LA basin, Northeast USA. a lot of UK PPLs will find it hard to cope in some of these environments. You can get Mountain flying thrown in for free if you train in certain areas.
Unfortunately UK FTOs are tied down by red tape and high operating costs. Some of them have resorted to spreading myths about foreign training to protect their own interests.
RULE NO.1 of flight training: Don't believe everything flying schools in or outside the UK say.
Aeroplanes fly the same all around the world, RT is similar (all based on ICAO guidelines), navigation is the same, airspace is similar (Uk VFR airspace is not the busiest in the world). There are some differences in RT and procedures but its not worth sweating about. When you listen on the radio in UK for the 1st time, you will be shocked by the quality (or lack of it).
In the end of the day don't be swayed by what FTOs say, speak to as many people as you can and try to make a judgement for yourself and see what type of training suits you.
I might some pro-foreign training but i'm just trying to show you the other side of the coin. remember, there are lots of planes flying in UK airspace as we speak crewed by foreing trained pilots. Even BA train their cadets in the US.
Evo
"shagged-out" describes 75% of the UK training fleet IMHO
Radarcontrol
£5000 is a bare minimum in the UK. I did mine in one of the cheapest Uk schools and in mimimum time and it cost me about that amount.
Capt. Manuvar