PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice: RAF Pilot
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2004, 07:44
portaluri

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a DE pilot who has recently passed eft, I would not have changed things for the world. There is great satisfaction at the age of 19 to get up each morning and go flying with little else to worry or think about.

If you are worried about missing out on the "good life" at university, rest assured that as a DE you can still have an awesome time and without getting into debt. As I'm sure you are aware EFT is now conducted at the various UASs and I made many friends with the students and got fully involved with some of there activities eg. diving in Egypt, go-karting, partying etc...

If it's a degree you want, DE's are generally enrolled on an in-service degree scheme with the OU which can be done at your own leisure and with financial help.

There are cons, however. It can be a pressurising time. Current climate suggests that FJ places are few and far between although all roles are pretty damn good. The biggest con at the moment is being stuck in an office for at least the next three months and even then I'm not sure where I will be going such is the state of holding and the flying trg system. Saying that could be stuck in a lecture theatre!

The approach I took when applying to join was to go all out for DE but at the same time I had applied and received a place at university which I subsequently turned down when I gained confirmation of my place at Cranwell.

All in all it's down to what you want to do with your life. There is plenty of good advice and anecdotes here for you to make a well balanced decision

Good luck!